Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin. That, or a kick-ass red lipstick. (Gwyneth Paltrow)


I've recently become preoccupied by lipstick. Which is very strange for me.

I've always been a big fan of the natural look, using as little makeup as possible. The only reason to use any makeup at all (in my opinion) is to even out your complexion and to highlight your features. For me, a light application of foundation and powder seemed like enough. (Other women do a lot more than foundation and blush, and they look wonderful. I'm not against makeup; I just haven't seen any reason for me to make the attempt. Truthfully, I'm just too lazy and rushed in the mornings to make the attempt.)

Most mornings the foundation and powder is enough. Occasionally I will put on a little bit of lipstick, and it's amazing the compliments I'll suddenly get. Apparently lipstick can magically make you look younger, happier, and give the appearance of a new haircut. Since I seldom remember to reapply it throughout the day, the effects soon wear off and I'm once again an unhappy older woman in need of a hairdresser.

This week, I'm pledging to carry a tube of lipstick with me wherever I go and to actually use it throughout the day.

No comments: