Sunday, June 13, 2010

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save. (Will Rogers)


I managed to get a couple more locations for the Great Gold Coast KIP Hunt today. First I drove all the way to Jupiter, hoping to snag a bonus point by getting a picture of David at Burger King. Instead, I just got lunch (plus one "fast food" point). Then I drove to the beach, hoping to get the beach point in the Hunt plus a photo for my Virtual Vacation Swap. Instead, I drove around and around the parking lot before giving up -- there just weren't any parking spaces left. So I ended up at the mall. At least there was air conditioning and Starbucks, so life was still good.

I've decided that it is very strange being without children. The first couple of days was fun. I could eat what I wanted, and do what I wanted, and I didn't have to worry about being somewhere that they wanted me to be. But the novelty has worn off, and I'm starting to feel lonely. I have a new admiration for my mother and my daughter, both of whom have been living on their own for years now. It's the little things, like figuring out how to cook dinner without having enough left over for the rest of the week, that has me baffled. (So far I've been coping with that by bringing leftovers for lunch to share with my student.) I imagine that I would eventually get used to it, but I can see myself spending a lot of time sitting on the couch by myself knitting to audiobooks. I will probably also spend a lot of time at Starbuck. But then again, I already do that.

Thank goodness my son comes home in five days. So I should probably enjoy myself while I can. Besides, tomorrow my mom and aunt will be visiting me. (Maybe I should just give up drinking wine when I'm alone.)

No comments: