Saturday, June 12, 2010

Before beginning a Hunt, it is wise to ask someone what you are looking for before you begin looking for it. (Pooh's Little Instruction Book)

Today was the first day of World Wide Knit in Public Week. To celebrate this, my friends Paula and Jennifer have been helping me plan the Gold Coast KIP Hunt. I had gotten the idea from the Yarn Harlot, and thought it would be a wonderful way to show that knitting is appropriate anywhere, with anyone. Luckily, people seem to agree with me and we have several participants for the hunt. We've also gotten some really great prizes. Naturally, as an organizer, I can't win any of the prizes. But I'm going to play along for the fun of it.

To start off the first day on a great note, my sister and our friend Josie drove up from Boca and we spent the afternoon at CityPlace. Originally our plan was to have lunch, and then to knit for a while. It was a good plan. A very good plan, as it turned out.

For lunch we went to Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger. They have the world's best onion rings, in my opinion. Plus they have egg creams, and I love egg creams.

Then we decided to hop a ride on the trolley to Clematis Street to check out the waterfront park. By then, my niece had joined us (she had been to the Norton Museum on a field trip) and she took over the photography. Thank goodness, because it left the rest of us free to knit and enjoy ourselves.

I hadn't been to Clematis Street since they finished the new piers. It's really nice. They now have three public floating piers, with benches and umbrellas all along the way. It's a wonderful place to catch a breeze while you knit or read or just enjoy the scenery. Cathy can attest to the "wheeee" factor of the waves. (We didn't tell her that it was the floating pier at first. Instead we let her think that she was even more unsteady on her feet than normal.)

We did eventually make our way back to the trolley, just in time to watch the band set up at CityPlace. Unfortunately, by the time they finished their "check, check, 1-2-3, check" over an hour had gone by and it was getting pretty late. We only stayed to listen to a couple actual songs before giving up and heading home.

All in all, it was a very good day. I hope we get to do it again soon.

No comments: