Monday, June 01, 2009

You have to find your song, and sing it. (Gail Blanke)

I mentioned that I'm starting to declutter the house. This is something that I've been talking about doing for years, and yet I never actually get around to doing it. Unless, of course, I'm moving. (Which may be why I move around so much.)

Recently I read through a copy of Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life. Just the title alone was enough to get me motivated. I know I could be the person I want to be, if there wasn't so much stuff getting in the way.

So I'm working my way through the house, with a goal of listing 50 things I've gotten rid of. So far, I've got 9 items on my list. That doesn't sound like much, but I've only done the my bathroom so far. And I'm listing things like "3 bags of old makeup, lotions, and perfumes" as just one item.*

Part of me is tempted to post the list, to keep me honest. The other, more sensitive/sensible part, really doesn't want anyone to know the amount and type of clutter I have in my house. Is there really any benefit to anybody if I admit that I finally threw away the two half bottles of wine that have been sitting on my counter top for over a year?

My goal for this week is to clear out the pantry and sort through the closet (yes, an entire closet!) of kitchen gadgets. I'll let you know next week how "Project 50" is going.



*How in the world does someone who doesn't wear much makeup and is allergic to perfume manage to fill up 3 bags with it?

No comments: