Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Spinning Wheels and Socks!

I haven't got that much to report as progress on my knitting this week. Since I gave up washcloths and baby hats, I've started doing more of the little squares for my Sampler Sock Blanket. It's all about the instant gratification, as far as I'm concerned. My final count for May was 37 squares added. (I posted a picture the other day, if you want to take a peek.)

I've been good about working on my Not-Red-and-Black Socks for Becka. I've only got one more repeat of the pattern (that's only 5 more rows!) and then I do the toe and they're done. I've had more fun, and more comments from strangers, working on this pair of socks. I've just got to cast on another colorwork project.

I know, I'm not supposed to cast anything on until I finish everything I already have cast on. Which includes, if anyone is counting, two more pairs of socks, a lace stole, a hand-spun stole that I'll probably frog, and a sweater. After which we should probably count the projects I have queued that I already have the yarn for: a sweater for Cari, a sweater for Becka, a sweater for me, fingerless gloves for Becka, a swifter cover, three handbags, and at least a dozen (if not more) socks. I may actually be approaching sable. No, I didn't mean stable. No one who knits as obsessively as I do is stable. (Just ask one of us to put our needles away, and you'll have proof of that!) "Sable" stands for Stash Aquired Beyond Life Expectancy.

I took my wheel to Spinning/Knit night this evening, and it was wonderful to be sitting in front of it again. I haven't taken the time in the past couple of weeks to spin. In fact, it's been so long that I couldn't even remember what I was spinning, beyond the fact that it was blue. (For the curious, it's "Lakeside" BFL from Spinning Bunny.) I probably got about 2 ounces spun today, and it's beautiful. I think it will be about a fingering weight after I 2-ply it, and it will make a gorgeous shawl. (I'm so into shawls right now.) Here's a closer look:


It's very soft, and I love the way the blues are changing as it spins. I hope 8 ounces is going to be enough for a shawl.

And one last quick bragging comment; although it's really more of a "I can't believe it" comment: our third podcast episode has already had 119 downloads. It's amazing that so many people are actually listening to me!

No comments: