Sunday, June 24, 2007

My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty. She's ninety-seven now, and we don't know where the hell she is.

(Ellen DeGeneres)

I’ve posted this picture (along with the explanation) on our family blog, so I apologize for the repetition. But I just thought it was so cool. And also a little disconcerting. My grandmother, at 88, is still so much more adventurous than I am.

When the kids shouted out at us, laughing and teasing about doing a noodle, I was embarrassed. I really didn’t know what they were talking about, and I didn’t know what to do with the attention. Should I ignore them? Or make a comment back? Or just try to be politely vague and move along quickly?

Gramma, however, spoke up right away and said she wanted one. It threw everyone off stride! Mom and I just stopped, and watched the scene unfold (not really sure what we “should” be doing). The kids stopped still, not sure what to do now that their jokingly offered invitation had been accepted. But then Gramma asked for the noodle again, and all of a sudden she was part of their group. The kids wanted to carry her off with them for the day. She was the Grandmother they wanted to have. She was proof that their fun would never have to end.

Later, Gramma told me that she had to take the challenge. She didn’t want the kids thinking that they could just place her in a box labeled “old” and then laugh. She wanted the last laugh.

I want to be more like my Grandmother. I want to accept the adventures as they show up, and not just when I’ve had time to analyze and schedule them properly. I want to have fun, and be open to whatever comes along. And most of all, I want to stay out of boxes.

No comments: