Saturday, June 30, 2007

It is hard to be brave, when you're only a Very Small Animal. (Piglet)

I had plans for this evening. Becky went to a friend's birthday sleep-over, and PJ was spending the evening with one of his friends, so I was going to be able to relax and do something nice for me. That is, until Millie found something to play with in the pantry.

I thought it was a lizard at first. Millie is worse than any cat, chasing the little lizards around and then bringing it to me as a gift when she finally catches one. Yeck!

But as I was calling Millie out of the pantry, a furry little creature ran across my foot. It's a mouse! It's a rat! No, it's the kids' gerbil. He must have gotten out of the cage again.

I don't like the gerbil. (I like mice and rats even less, so I was seriously hoping that it really was the gerbil.) I managed to get him trapped in the corner by the refrigerator, and then tried to figure out how to get it into a box so that I wouldn't have to touch it. I ended up just sitting there, guarding that corner and waiting for my son to get home. [Please ignore the dirty floor. I hadn't realized how dirty it was until I sat staring at it for a couple of hours. The worse part was that I couldn't go get the mop to clean it up!]

I did have a horrible scare. I decided to get some of my sock done while I was sitting there staring at the corner. I finished the first cuff, and tried it on to make sure that I had the size right. I put my foot up to take a look at the knitting, and rested it on the refrigerator door. I forgot that the fridge is on casters, and scoots back real easy. My foot went up, and the fridge went back. I thought for sure I squished the gerbil! I didn't dare take a look. What would I do if the darn thing was squished dead? Or if it were just hurt? It took me about five minutes to work up enough courage to peek around the side of the fridge. Boy did I jump when I saw the gerbil peeking back at me! But at least it wasn't hurt or dead.

After 2 1/2 hours, my son finally got home and he managed to catch the gerbil within 15 minutes.

The gerbil is in his new home now, and hopefully he won't be able to escape again. I'm off to mop the kitchen floor...

No comments: