Monday, December 18, 2006

I may be a living legend, but that sure don't help when I've got to change a flat tire. (Roy Orbison)



My van's been riding funny for about two weeks. At first PJ and I thought it was because the tire was flat. But we checked the air pressure, and it was fine. So I tried to ignore it, thinking it was just the road and my imagination.

Then today something about it made me real nervous. When I got onto the turnpike to drive down to Boca, I found myself clutching the steering wheel with white knuckles. When a big, slow-moving construction truck got in front of me, I decided to stick with it at 45 mph rather than passing so that I could go the 70 mph speed limit. When it was time to come home, I turned onto the highway instead of the interstate. When I saw a tire store along the way, I figured I might as well stop and see if there was any real reason to be worried. The guy took one look at my tire and whistled. It seems that the belt had separated, and it was a miracle that I made it there without the tire exploding. A look at the rest of my tires found that the tread was worn. They were getting ready to close, but they stayed around to change my tires for me. I left with three new tires (they didn't have the fourth, so I'll have to pick it up tomorrow).

It amazes me how much better the van is driving now. It's been pulling to the left since my last tune-up. Now it rides straight and easy.

All I can say is that somewhere, a guardian angel was watching over me.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: