Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Patience is the art of hoping. (Marquis De Vauvenarques)


My aquarium is ready, but what happened to the fish?

I've been enjoying PJ's tank so much, that I decided to indulge in a tank of my own. The kids and I set it up on Sunday, carefully following all the "rules" of good aquariumism. (Okay, aquariumism isn't a real word, but it sounded good.) After letting the tank run for a little over 24 hours, we checked the water conditions and everything looked good. So Monday evening we purchased my first fish. I chose two pairs of fancy tail guppies (my favorites), two sunburst platties, and four zebra danios. We brought the fish home, followed the rules of aquariumism again by letting the fish adapt to the water temperature before releasing them. Within an hour the danios were dead. By bedtime, I had lost three of the guppies and one of the platties. And in the morning the last two fish were also dead. Needless to say, I was very upset.

After work the kids and I took the dead fish back to the pet store, along with a sample of the water. Even the petstore employee thought the water was good, although she did decide after a brief discussion that maybe the ph should be a little bit higher. So instead of new fish, I went home with a ph increaser. If I follow directions, maybe I'll be allowed to own fish tomorrow
.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

sean & kelly said...

I have a story to tell you.When we lived in Dallas, we had a 250 gallon tank full of beautiful cichlids. When we were moving to Houston, we transfered all the fish into specially treated "coolers" for transport. Sean and the older boys left a few days before me. They took the fish. When it was time for me to make the trip, I had to take the tank off the cabinet stand, lower it to the floor, get it out the house and uo and into the van. By MYSELF! 250 gallons, VERY HEAVY! I did it and got it to Houston without any problems. Sean helps me unload it out of the van. SEAN drops it out of the van! It broke! We had no money to buy subsitute tanks or anything and we had to watch several of our fish die, {some of them 10 inches long and weighing a few pounds!} before we were able to get tanks again. It was heart breaking. Fish have personalities. They make great pets! Keep trying and good luck!