Saturday, May 08, 2010

Teenagers complain there's nothing to do, then stay out all night doing it. (Bob Phillips)

Yesterday was Prom Night for my youngest. I'm not sure who it was a bigger deal for, her or me. Okay, probably me. It's just that I can't believe my baby is old enough to be going to the Prom.

She signed out early from school, in order to start getting ready. Yeah, that was the official excuse. She primped, and preened, and texted with her friends all afternoon in order to be ready on time.

Oh, she knew she looked good.


Oh, and may I take a moment to point out the shoes. Three inch heels -- how in the world did I ever agree to these? Although I did really like the silver toenail polish.

Her date was picking her up at 7:30. By 7:15, she was tired of the camera and refusing to let me take any more pictures. Although I did manage to get one more of her, with her protective older brother. I think he was more taken aback by her grown-up appearance than I was. It was sort of cute, the way he questioned her about her plans and her friends. Although I did have to step in and remind him that if I, the parent, was satisfied with the answers then she really was allowed to go regardless of his opinion.

Did I mention that her date was supposed to pick her up at 7:30? He was late. Very late. Late enough that I was beginning to toy with the idea of letting protective big brother deal with the situation.

Lucky for him, he finally arrived at 8:30. (To be fair, he did call around 8 to explain that they were lost).

I think they made an adorable couple. And at the risk of upsetting my daughter, I will admit that I'm happy that they're "just friends." I really am not ready to let my baby be grown up enough for a relationship. Letting her go to the Prom was difficult enough.


This morning she reported that they had a great time. After the Prom, they went with a group of friends to City Place and then to Denny's for breakfast. I made the mistake of waiting up for her -- she didn't get home until 2:30 am! (But I was very pleased that her date walked her all the way to the front door. He really is a nice boy.)

By the way, I'm being very nice by not bringing up any of the stories I have about my high school proms. Staying awake all night, waiting for my daughter, gave me plenty of time to remember my glory days and the fun we had. Maybe someday I'll tell you about spending the night at Joe's (my date was Donny), Model UN, beer under the boardwalk, and Great Adventure -- although if you know me at all, you've probably heard the stories before...

No comments: