Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Modern invention has banished the spinning wheel, and the same law of progress makes the woman of today a different woman from her grandmother.

(Susan B. Anthony)


The ply has been set on the first 4 oz of the white wool, and it bloomed beautifully. This is a soft, smooshy light worsted weight 2-ply yarn. Because of a problem when plying, I separated it into two skeins. The first skein is 159.75 yards, and the second skein is 128.25 yards. That's a total of 288 yards for 4 oz of worsted; not bad at all.

I have two bobbins of singles ready to ply on the next 4 oz. So I have to decide whether to spin the rest of the white (I have 8 more oz) so that they stay fairly consistent, or if I want to spin something bright and shiny first. I have several rovings from the Crown Mountain Club (including the new May Targhee), and the alpaca that I recently bought in Fort Pierce. I also have a Merino/Tencel roving that my daughter had picked out -- if I start spinning that now, I might even manage to get it finished for her visit next week.

Hmmm, the pretty or the smooshy soft?

1 comment:

Paula L said...

if you do the smooshy white you'll have it done and can focus on color...always a plus

i've been spinning up some white i had in my stash, it is rather boring, i feel your pain. especially with other pretty colorful things sitting here taunting me