Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Nothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul. (Oscar Wilde)

On Sunday I talked about my visit to Yarn It in Ft. Pierce. These are the pretties that I bought for myself. The alpaca is unbelievably soft! I have 8 ounces total, which should be enough to make a nice shawl or shrug. I may even try a short sleeved sweater. I really want to start spinning them now, but I have several projects sitting in the spinning basket ahead of them.

I did get the first 4 ounces of white wool plied together. I think it's going to really bloom once I set the ply, so I won't list the yardage or WPI yet. But it is a nice worsted weight, and incredibly soft. The first bobbin of singles for the next 4 ounces is spun, and I'm keeping it pretty consistent with the first skein. I'm proud of my control. Spinning solid white is visually boring (I really like the hand-dyed rovings, with the always-changing colors as you spin), but the incredible softness of this roving makes up for it. It is going to be really difficult to give this yarn away.

4 comments:

Sungopolis said...

Why must you give the yarn away? And if you do, where can I sign up?

Paula L said...

it really is as soft as it looks, both of them, the alpaca is just yummy!!

i might have to get some of the lighter color, almost apricot, to make something for my mom

Sandi said...

Sungopolis - I have to give the white yarn away because I promised it to somebody almost a year ago. It's incredibly overdue.

But I do like spinning for friends... it gives me an unselfish excuse to play with fiber instead of doing housework.

Sungopolis said...

Housework = bah!

Spinning for friends = big-ass grin