Monday, April 26, 2010

...where everybody knows your name...


Do you remember Cheers? It was a popular sitcoms back in the 80's. One of the things that I remember best is that Norman would walk into the bar, and everyone would greet him, "Hey, Norm!"

Of course, the sad part was thinking that the bar was Norman's entire life. Sure, he worked as an accountant and was married. But his real life, his social life, was spent sitting in the bar with people he only knew through the bar.

Tonight, I realized I have become Norm. I walked into Barnes and Noble, and was greeted with big smiles by several of the bookstore employees. The guys behind the Starbucks counter started my drink before I even ordered it. I set up my wheel, greeted Paula (who was waiting for me with her new spindle), and I became a part of the regular crowd.

Marc was there, chatting online with a new girl. Sue had her textbooks out, studying for yet another test. And the quiet guy in the corner was reading as usual. A comment was made that we've gotten too comfortable, us regulars; we know too much about each other for being strangers. Quiet guy (aka Bob-that's-not-his-real-name) actually spoke up to point out that was the reason he stays quiet. Only to learn that by being quiet, the rest of us have been free to make up stuff about him on Wednesdays (the day he doesn't come in).

Yeah, I probably spend too much time at B&N. But at least there's no alcohol involved...

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.
Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,
and they're always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows
Your name.

2 comments:

Paula L said...

Think of it this way, at least you're sitting in a coffee shop drinking coffee instead of a bar guzzling beer while trying to spin/knit. Silver lining Sandi, silver lining =D

Sandi said...

But if I were sitting in a bar guzzling alcohol, I might be able to do some of that cool free-form knitting. Hmmm