Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Lying increases the creative faculties, expands the ego, and lessens the frictions of social contacts. (Clare Booth Luce)

Flower
Over on my family blog, we're playing a game called "3 truths and a fib." It's a game we used to do in Girl Scout trainings, as a way of getting to know each other quickly. The rules are simple: tell four things about yourself, only three of which are true. Everyone else tries to guess which one is the fib.

The game is tougher than it sounds. The way to win is to come up with truths that sound like a lie, and a lie that sounds like the truth.

I actually am pretty proud of how well I can do this. It's a talent that I don't have any opportunity (other than this) to brag about. I mean, imagine how it would sound at work if I told everyone I'm a really good fibber, and then had to call in sick.

As a storyteller, fibbing well is a good talent to have. Fiction is just fibbing that been nurtured and developed. So in light of that, be warned. I may need to practice my talent from time to time. So in the future, when you read something posted here, please remember that the truth may sound like a fib, and a good fib will sound like the truth.

Feel free to comment on which is which!

No comments: