Tuesday, April 24, 2007

It is always the best policy to speak the truth--unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar. (Jerome K. Jerome)


The boy I work with in the afternoons (J.) has relatives visiting from Ireland. The youngest, a 9 year old "Kid", was excited because I had invited him to join us in a trip to a nearby park after J. had finished his chores. While J. worked, the Kid and I chatted. The Kid was anxious to get to the park, so I suggested that he help J. finish the chores.

"I don't have to do chores while I'm here," the Kid told me. I wanted to know why not, since chores were good for you. He didn't believe me, so I explained that chores made you grow tall. I cited J. as an example, since J. is easily 6' tall.

"Are you telling me the truth?" he demanded.

"Of course I am," I assured him, with a straight face.

He looked very thoughtful, and sat quietly for a few minutes. Then he asked me to stick out my tongue. Thinking that he had been distracted onto a new topic, I stuck out my tongue.

He looked at it, then nodded seriously. "Aye, tis black indeed. You're lying to me."

Apparently, my children aren't the only ones who have me figured out.

No comments: