Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others. (Robert Louis Stevenson)

Does anyone want to buy a van? I need to sell mine, since I'm never going to drive it again.

You see, there was a spider in it. Which means that I can't ever get into the van again. Because where's there's one spider, there might be a second one. Or the first spider may have laid eggs before it was chased away. Which means that there will forever be a chance that I'll see another spider in the van. And I barely survived this one.

You see, I was driving home from the store when the spider crawled across the windshield. It was big. Really huge. A gigantic, horrid 8-legged creature that could easily be the star of his own (okay, "her own" since I've already had it laying eggs) horror story. Luckily I was stopped at a traffic light, or things could have been really bad. As it was, I barely managed to keep breathing long enough to pull over and get out of the van. I wish I was exaggerating when I say that a policeman stopped to help me, convinced that I was either the victim of an attempted carjacking or else in need of medical attention for a heart attack. When I explained about the spider, he just stared at me for a long minute, burst into laughter, and drove away. Without checking the van for the spider!

So I finally pulled myself together, and checked for the spider myself. I I finally found one on top of the car. I managed to brush it off with a really long stick, and then I quickly jumped in the van and sped off, hoping that the spider wasn't going to catch up to me.


[For the record, I know I wasn't being rational. But who could possibly be rational around a spider?]

No comments: