Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Age is no guarantee of maturity. (Lawana Blackwell)

I've learned that working with my spinning wheel in public attracts lots of attention. Most of the time I don't mind. I enjoy when children stare, because it gives me a chance to teach them a little bit about history and clothing and how things are made. And I've made good friends with a few women because of the attraction of the wheel. The people who are most attracted by a spinning wheel, however, are men.

Now don't misunderstand. I think it's wonderful that spinning in public gives me a chance to meet men. Goodness knows I'm not getting to meet them any other way. But tonight, well that was a lamb of a different color.

I had planned on spending a pleasant evening with a friend and her brand-new wheel. And it was a nice time, helping her to produce her very first singles on her Kiwi. She had her daughter with her, so there was the added bonus of spoiling a sweet toddler. (I want a grandchild, I just don't want any of my children have a baby yet.)

But somehow, I got involved in a long discussion with Marc. He's 33 years old, and heartbroken over the breakup with his 24 year old girlfriend. I think. Because he was also worried that the 22 year old he's dating now isn't serious about him. Somehow, the fact that I was an older (okay, he said "old" but I prefer "older"), settled woman who spins ("just like a Michael Landon show") made me the perfect confident for his issues.

I will admit that I enjoyed talking with Marc. He's sweet, very romantically minded, and has a sense of humor that totally matched mine. Too bad he made me feel like I was talking to one of my teenagers.

No comments: