Friday, May 15, 2009

Congratulations, Graduates!

My niece graduated today. Technically my son has also graduated, although he isn't going to give me the satisfaction of the ceremony. (But I figure I won the big battle -- he stayed in school and got his high school diploma -- so I'm not going to fixate on the loss of a photo opportunity.)

Memories are, of course, the main focus of the day...

Both of the kids had graduation ceremonies when they were tiny. I think my neice's was kindergarten; I have pictures that my sister sent me at the time. PJ's ceremony was from the 4-year-old program, and of course he went off in his own direction instead of following everyone else as they marched in line.

Four years ago it was Cari's graduation, and we were looking ahead to college. I understood that. I could plan for that, and knew what to expect and shop for. Now it's boot camp, and the rules are different. I want to do towels and sheets, clothes, and even a computer. Instead there's a limited list (one pair of briefs, two pairs of white socks, a small black duffel bag, and the MEPs paperwork) and a long mom-list of worries.

It seems like only a short time ago that it was my friends and I sitting in the bleachers on the football field, waiting to toss our graduation caps. What I really want to know is how my mom ever agreed to a keg party in the park to celebrate... I guess she was just a whole lot cooler mom than I am. On the other hand, at least neither of the kids announced their engagement at the party. We were far too young to go off into the world as adults (no matter what we thought at the time). In fact, I'm still too young to have children going off into the world (no matter what they think).

No comments: