Thursday, June 29, 2006

And say my glory was I had such friends. (William Butler Yeats)

The Jupiter Lighthouse,
as seen from Debois Park

I had the most remarkable thing happen to me today. I was out with a client this afternoon, and we stopped at the park to walk along the beach. At the park we met some kids out with their moms, and naturally we shared smiles before going on our way. We hadn't gotten very far when one of the mothers came running up to me. I have to admit that my first thought was "uh-oh." (Even when people are genuinely good-hearted, their reaction isn't always the best when they meet someone 'different.') I prepared myself to politely answer the awkward questions, but found myself surprised when she asked if my name was Sandi. It turns out that she had recognized me -- we went to high school together!

Pam and I had a nice time chatting. It's been 25 years since we graduated, and there was a lot to catch up on in the short time we had to visit. She and her two children were down here on vacation. Her children, by the way, were wonderful. They smiled and chatted with my client, accepting his limitations without pause.

I still can't get over the fact that Pam recognized me. I've always thought that I went through school as a quiet, near-invisible bookworm. I guess I wasn't as invisible as I thought. Not to mention that Pam has a phenomenal talent for remembering names and faces!

No comments: