Monday, May 01, 2006

As I get older, I've learned to listen to people rather than accuse them of things. (Po Bronson)


Yesterday I was given notice that my parking space was being reassigned. Instead of being in front of the entrance, I'm now across the parking lot. According to them, I should be happy I even have a parking space. Initially they weren't going to give me one, since the paperwork hadn't been completed on time. The fact that they sent the paperwork to the owner and I was never told anything about it didn't matter to them. Naturally, I spent the day extremely aggravated at our HOA board.

I wasn't the only person upset today. Neighbors who normally only nod to each other in the halls could be seen having long discussions regarding the situation. There's nothing like a common complaint to bring a group of people together. And the parking changes were definitely something to complain about. There really wasn't any reason for the board to be doing this. ("Maybe they just want the good parking spaces for themselves.")

When I picked up my new parking decal, I had the chance to talk with a couple members of the board. Surprisingly, they weren't just being horrible. It seems that they were changing the parking in an effort to make it fair to everyone. People in the third building, which had been the last units to be sold, had been stuck with parking spaces on the far side of the first two buildings. So residents of building 3 had to walk across the entire length of the property while residents of building 1 parked in the spaces surrounding building 3. The reassignment actually makes the parking fair for everyone by assigning each building's residents the spaces nearest their building.

I can't help thinking that a lot of the problems and complaints could have been avoided with a little communication. Maybe the next time I get upset at something someone is doing, I'll try taking a moment to ask them why they're doing it first.

Maybe.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: