Saturday, April 01, 2006

A person who has not done one half his day's work by ten o'clock, runs a chance of leaving the other half undone. (Emily Bronte)


Happy April's Fool Day!


The only fool of the day has been me, and I don't want to talk about it.

Actually, it's been a semi-productive day. I picked up the new cell phones today. I now have five (yes, five!) phones on my family plan. What's amazing is that I consider having the five separate phones a necessity. Thirty years ago I was an active teenager, and yet my mom managed to keep track of me without a cell phone. I remember how exciting it was fifteen years ago when PKK got a mobile phone in his car (one of the first in town!) back when we were still living in Kentucky. Most of the time there wasn't any service because of the hills, but having the mobile phone proved he had arrived professionally. Even just seven years ago, when I got my first cell phone so that the daycare could reach me in case of an emergency, I thought it was an overly indulgent expense. When PKK gave PJ and Becky each a cell phone last year, I couldn't understand why the children needed one. And yet just one week after PKK took the phones away from the kids, I found myself rushing out to the store to replace them. It just made me too nervous to be without that lifeline to each of my babies.

No comments: