Thursday, August 02, 2012

I love getting mail!

I only have 1 1/2 skeins left to knit on the cabled shawl!
Today turned out to be a very nice day. I've been struggling at work, between the lack of sleep (that's left me unable to focus and without any patience) and the diverse and unrealistic expectations that occur when you are working for a committee rather than a single boss. I could function despite the lack of sleep if I had only one person to answer to, since I wouldn't have to translate which "top priority" was actually a "top priority" and not simply a whim brought on by a random conversation in the grocery store. Similarly, if I could just get a good night's sleep, I would probably find the random instructions amusing rather than insulting. So far I've managed to keep in mind that this all shall pass, and rainbows will appear and butterflies will once again poop on my head. (I know that didn't really make sense, but I'm living on 2 hours of sleep a night.)

Anyway, despite my grumpy impatience, today turned out to be a very nice day. I received TWO thank you notes in the mail. Family members of two (of the three) memorial services I helped plan this month wrote to let me know that they appreciated my help. Both notes were very flattering, and sweet, and made me cry. One note (from the young boy's aunt and uncle) included gift cards for a night out -- totally unnecessary on their part, and unexpected, but greatly appreciated. What I really liked, though, was that I did my job well enough to have made a difference. When I worked at the ADT, I knew I was making a difference in people's lives. It's nice that even as just a church secretary, I can still do that.

No comments: