Monday, August 06, 2012

Apples to Apples



I don't know why, but I've been in the mood for a beer recently. The problem is, I just don't like beer. So I've settled for hard cider.

Cider is actually closer to being a wine, than a beer. It's made by pressing apples instead of grapes, but the yeast and fermentation is similar to the wine-making process. It's referred to as cider, by the way, in most countries. During prohibition Americans started making a non-alcoholic version of cider that became popular. The term "hard" was added to distinguish the non-alcoholic from the alcoholic variety. (I thought that was an interesting piece of trivia.)

My cider of choice is Angry Orchid, but I thought that might be because the grocery store carries that brand. So when I had the chance to go to the Wine Store, I picked up something different. It's Spire Mountain Draft Cider, made in Washington. It has a really great aroma, very applish with a light lemon. I could sniff it all night. The taste is slightly sweet and a bit tannic. (Do you use tannic to describe cider? Or should I just say that it has a little sour aftertaste.) It's easy to drink, and I find that I finish the bottle very quickly. I probably won't buy this brand again, though.

Maybe I should try to make my own hard cider.

No comments: