Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. (Satchel Paige)

But mostly I just knits. (Sandrilene)

It's Wednesday WIPs and FOs, and I have a lot of knitting projects to brag about. Not because I've been knitting any more than normal, just because I got so far behind with my blog posts.

I finished the baby sweater for Bia's baby. I've been promising my daughter that I would knit a baby sweater for her friend ever since she told me that Bia was pregnant. Bia had the baby this summer. She was premature, but that doesn't excuse the fact that I didn't get the sweater done on time. I didn't even have the sweater started when the baby was born. Luckily we live in southern Florida, so I was able to use the excuse that it was too warm for a baby sweater. Instead, I knit a 6 month size sweater for the baby to wear in December/January, when the weather actually gets a little cool. I used Judy's Grandmother's Baby Sweater pattern from Greetings From Knit Cafe. I used this pattern before, and I'll probably knit it again. I love the way it looks, and it's a very easy knit. The yarn was Lion Brand Baby Soft, a nice easy-care acrylic for young first-time mother.

I made several hats for Knit.Pray.Love. My sister had suggested this charity program that she had heard about on Mornings with Brant. They were looking for 100% wool baby hats to be taken to Afghanistan through Cure International. Of course I did my favorite preemie pattern.

I wanted to try something new, so I also made a couple of hats using Leslie Clarkson's Fresh Picked Baby Hat pattern. I modified it a little bit, since I'm not crazy about the look of the i-cord on the top of the baby hat. Otherwise, it's a wonderful pattern.

My third pattern was Bev's Baby Ribs Hat. I think this will show up again with my preemie baby hats!


I had a little more yarn left, so I tried something different. A pair of booties that feature a brioche stitch. These were very clever, but I want to see them on a baby before I get too excited about knitting them again. (Although I probably have to knit at least one other pair, since this pair was sent to Afghanistan and I won't be able to see how they fit. Hmm.)

After I finished the Knit.Pray.Love. hats, it was time to knit hats for soldiers. One of my favorite podcasters, Coggie, asked her listeners to knit hats for the men that had been deployed with her husband. Naturally I had to do something to help, so I sent her two hats.

My cousin is expecting a little boy, so my next project was a sweater for the baby. I used a pattern by Nancy Pietraszek, and I think it turned out adorable. I found the best silver buttons, which I think gave this sweater a really polished look. I can't wait to see it on the baby!


It has taken forever, but my Riva is finally finished. I had originally planned to wear this for New Years 2010, since all the knitting was done. Somehow, the two side seams have taken me almost a year to sew. It's not that sewing up a seam is difficult; I just don't like to do it. But after much encouragement from my knitting group ("When are you ever going to finish that sweater, anyway?") I bit the bullet, printed out instructions for the mattress stitch, and finally finished the seaming. Too bad the sweater doesn't fit me. (But I have faith that with the help of Weight Watchers, I'll be able to wear the sweater soon.)


Becka is going to New Jersey for part of Christmas break, so I decided to make her a pair of "Oh, Shiney!" mittens. I used the pattern from Sock Yarn One Skein Wonders. I treated myself to this book, and there are several patterns that I'm looking forward to making. This has become one of my favorite knitting books!

And, since I made something for Becka, I decided it was past time to make something for PJ. Actually, my mom pointed out that I never knit for my son. So I made him a hat. I think it looks good on him!

No comments: