Thursday, August 27, 2009

I've learned that you can't have everything and do everything at the same time. (Oprah Winfrey)

I know I'm a day late with the Wednesday WIPs, but I was out of commission yesterday with some type of bug. Sorry. But see what monoknitomy will get you? I'm already at the lace border of my Spun in the City shawl. Just thirty more rows and I'm finished. I was told that the Ulmus pattern was an easy, quick knit and Charity was absolutely correct. I really like this pattern alot. Provided, of course, that it blocks out properly and doesn't remain a tiny scarf instead of the comfortable shawl I'm anticipating. (I really hate blocking things! Almost as much as I dislike felting. In a perfect world, I would be able to knit things the actual size they are, instead of hoping they end up the right size in the end.)

I've also gotten back into reading full time. It's helped that I figured out how to hold a book open so that I can knit and read at the same time. (I really can't help being the way I am. I tried therapy, but it didn't help.) You may have noticed my book blog on the sidebar. If you click on it, you can see all the books I've read lately. I'm not so sure that it's a good idea sharing this, since I'm currently in a junk-romance rut (well, that and the Stephanie Plum series). But I'd love some ideas of readable literature. And if anyone knows of a good book discussion group (or wants to form one, maybe on facebook), I'm all for it! I did start a lending library for staff at work. I set up a corner of the supply room with about 30 paperback novels that I've finished. Anyone who wants a book can take it, simply by leaving another book in its place. Staff wasn't too sure, at first, if they were interested. I think they thought I'd only bring in stuffy classics or maybe some nerdy science fiction. But I have a pretty good selection, and my "graphic" romances shocked the heck out of them. (I may have trashed my reputation, but it was totally worth the look on some faces!)

My other big accomplishment was getting internet back into my home. I lost it when our PC crashed, so I've been trying to get by with going online at work, Starbucks, and whenever I could grab a hotspot from the neighbors. But its back, and I celebrated by watching a couple of episodes of Dr. Who. I love the doctor! I have one more episode of season two left, and then I'll start the first season of Torchwood (thanks, Cari!).

1 comment:

Cari said...

Hey! The classics are not stuffy!

I'm thinking about starting Gone With the Wind soon. Want to read that with me? It's long, and a classic, but I hear it's quite the engaging romance. Eh, eh?

YAY, DOCTOR. And Rose. Oh, lovely lovely Rose.