Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Spinning in the City

I've been very remiss in posting pictures and details of my trip to NYC. It's not because I haven't wanted to -- I had a wonderful time, learned way more than I was prepared to, and totally enjoyed visiting with my daughter. But life has been, let's just say "interesting" since I've been home (and I mean that sincerely -- for starters, I was filing a police report at 11:00 pm Tuesday after flying in, late!, at 10:00 pm).

Insubordiknit's Workshop was fantastic. Jacey is amazing, both as an instructor and as a person. She's planning a workshop in Sarasota next spring, and I plan on going back just because I can. She was that good. For me, the best part was her emphasis on making balance, knittable yarns. I love the look of an art yarn, but what do you do with it? Jacey showed us how to do the art techniques so that the produced yarn can be used in normal knitting. For instance, she had us spin 20-30 yards normal before starting a technique in order to cast on when knitting. (This was a major concept for me!)

These are the first two yarns I made at the workshop. They're not perfect, but I'm extemely proud of them. Especially since I thought I was finished after the first yarn -- spinning thick and thin almost did me in! But Jacey was very patient with me, and made sure that I understood what to do before moving me along with the others.

Core spinning, using fancy batts, was my favorite technique. It was a total ah-hah! moment, and I love the smoochy result.

I have a lot more pictures from the trip. Since I've already posted them on Facebook, I'll just share this link and you can go check them out if you want. They'll probably also show up in bits and dabs in future posts as well.


On the knitting side, I'm trying to be monogymys. I've just worked on my souvineer Ulmus in the City shawl. The light blue is handspun that I plied just before my trip. The navy is 'J. Knits Superwash Me' from my last visit to NYC, bought because the colorway is 'New York.' I love the pattern, and I have to remember to thank Charity from the Boca Knitting Group for recommending it.

No comments: