Sunday, January 18, 2009

It's just a walk in the park

I went out letterboxing today, and added four more finds to my tally. I would have had a fifth, but the park was closing.

I had to go by myself because everyone was busy doing other stuff. But it was alright, I had a good time. Marsha (my new TomTom) kept me company on the ride. We did have a couple of disagreements because I kept turning the wrong way (who knew electronic devices could sound so annoyed), but we worked it out and I found the parks I needed to.

Every time i go out on a hike, I wonder why I don't do it more often. I really enjoy it. I was a little nervous retrieving some of the boxes, since gators and snakes were a real possibility. But when I caught myself wishing the kids were with me to get the box for me, I realized that if it were safe enough for them, it should be safe enough for me. (Although truthfully, there are times I'd be willing to sacrifice a child.)

I had some really cool sitings while looking for the boxes. I saw a gopher tortoise, hiding in his borrow. I saw an armadillo foraging on the edge of a parking lot. I saw a blue heron sweep across the lake. And I watched a redheaded woodpecker.

Maybe I'll go back out tomorrow.

No comments: