Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I feel like I should talk about our new president.

Today at work we watched as President Obama took the oath of office. We've followed the process throughout the election, and today it was a definite party atmosphere. Hopefully he'll make a real difference.

I am feeling very excited about my new spindle. I made it myself, and I plan to make several more to take to the Farmer's Market when Skeiniac and I go this weekend. What amazes me is how nicely it works. I had no difficulty spinning up a fine ply, and the spindle twirls almost forever so the twist is nice and even. I had purchased a beginner's spindle a few months (maybe a year) ago, and I hated it. I couldn't get it to do what I wanted. The Rakestraw Spindle I tried next was better, but even with that I had problems. Which is why I bought my wheel -- I really wanted to be successful at spinning. It could just be that because I spin on the wheel, that's why I was able to use the new drop spindle. But I totally love the weight and spin on the CD spindle.

Now I just need to make myself a spindle bag, since the project bags I've made are too small to fit the 12" dowel. And I'm going to try to dye some roving for practicing.

No comments: