Friday, September 26, 2008

Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things in the world that just don't add up. (James Magary)


My favorite thing this week actually has to do with my new diet. (Yes, it's a diet. I know that you're supposed to think of diets as "a new way of eating" rather than by the d-word, but the truth is that it's a diet. Luckily it's a diet I can easily live with.) My favorite gadget this week is the Weight Watchers' points calculator.

Being able to figure out the points for just about any food is what makes this diet feasible for me. I would go nuts if I could only eat certain foods. I might only eat those foods anyway, but knowing that it's by choice rather than restriction makes a difference. And there are times when I just don't feel like planning and cooking and cleaning up, so being able to eat occasional "junk" is vital. As long as I calculate the points for it, and I have enough points left for the day, I can eat anything.

Weight Watchers gives you a free cardboard slider that you can use to figure out points. You match this line with that line, then check where it all ends up. It's simple, easy to carry, and very usable. But the points calculator is way better (in my opinion). Mostly because I can read it even with the darn bifocals. (The little lines on the slide card made my eyes go nuts.) It's an extra "toy" that I could probably have done without, but that is making the transition to a healthier me a little less frustrating. (One slice of a large Papa John's Hawaiian BBQ Chicken pizza with wheat crust is only 7 points! Yum!)

No comments: