Thursday, March 22, 2007

It is not a bad idea to get in the habit of writing down one's thoughts. It saves one having to bother anyone else with them. (Isabel Colegate)

"Yellow"
Lensday.com

I live an interesting life. Not interesting, as in having really good stories to tell. More like in the ancient curse "May you live in interesting times."

I just took a moment to google the origin of that curse. I use the phrase all the time, but I can't remember where I first heard it from. I vaguely remember it being Irish. Or maybe from a Mercedes Lackey novel. I thought it might be nice to have the actual reference, just in case I'm using it wrong. (Remind me to tell you the story of Miss Jabberwock sometime.)

Anyway, I found out that it was used by Robert F. Kennedy in his Cape Town speech in 1966. I was just a child then, so I don't think that's where I remember it from. (By the way, Kennedy attributed to an ancient Chinese proverb.) It was actually first written in a science fiction story by Duncan Munro. It was part of a three-part curse, each part being more severe than the previous:

May you live in interesting times.
May you come to the attention of those in authority.
May you find what you are looking for.

It makes you think, doesn't it. Especially the last one.

No comments: