Sunday, March 11, 2007

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you,

but he will make a fool of himself too. (Samuel Butler)

Miss Mildred Rose (aka Millie) has definitely made a place for herself in the family. It's amazing how quickly I've become attached to her (especially considering that I really don't like animals). Millie sleeps on my bed, gets fed before myself or the kids, and takes me for long walks twice a day.

Taking the walks is the worse part. George is very slow and resentful -- he just doesn't see the point of going outside when there is a perfectly good kitchen floor he can use to pee on. Millie, on the other hand, is excited to be out exploring. She's a true Neuhaus; she's always trying to find shortcuts along the way, and will sudden decide to go off in a different direction because something has caught her eye. Since I'm holding a leash in each hand, I find myself literally pulled in two directions, when I'm not being tripped by a puppy racing between my feet. Every five minutes I have to stop and untangle the three of us. And I won't even try to explain the difficulty of pooper scooping while hanging onto the two dogs. On the plus side, I'm getting to know all of my neighbors. It seems that we're an amusing enough sight that nobody can resist laughing and saying hello.

It's easier when the children are home to help me. We take turns chasing Millie to take away whatever it is she's chewing on that she shouldn't be. We rotate kitchen clean-up duty. There's always someone nearby to distract Millie from chewing on George's ears. And the children can take Millie away when I have to use the bathroom so that she doesn't sit outside the door and whine. Unfortunately, the children are at their father's this weekend so I'm trying to handle it all by myself. It's like being the mother of toddlers again -- the first time around (with my children) was fun, but I'm getting too old to handle it now.

Oh well. I better go see what the dogs are up to. They're being too quiet and it's making me nervous.

No comments: