Thursday, November 30, 2006

Feel the fear and do it anyway. (Susan Jeffers)


I was sitting in my van, waiting for Becky after school. I was early, so I had pulled out Daisy and was trying to get a little work done. In the background, I could a lot of laughing and shouting as kids made their way across the parking lot on their way home. Suddenly, I realized that somebody was screaming. Loud, agonized, screaming! I looked up, and there’s a pickup with a big trailer (for a lawn care company) stopped in the middle of the drive. A group of teenagers are standing next to it, pointing underneath and screaming. As I’m trying to figure out what’s going on, a woman walking by stops, then stoops to peer underneath the trailer. At this point I realized that the truck must have hit one of the kids. Without thinking, I grabbed my cell phone from my purse sitting next to me as I reached down and grabbed the first aid kit (for the CPR mask, just in case), from underneath the seat. Within seconds I was out the door and racing toward the truck. Just as quickly, the teens break out in wild laughter and start walking away.

I don’t know which of us was more upset, the truck driver or me. What a horrible “joke” to play. My heart is STILL racing. Posted by Picasa

No comments: