Sunday, February 05, 2006

The thing that impresses me most about America is the way parents obey their children. (King Edward VIII)

Posted by Picasa
I said no. In fact, I believe my exact words were "No! Never, ever again." And I know this because I said it many times, over the past several months.

Of course, the children still managed to talk me into a fish tank for PJ. But that was supposed to be the end of it. Just a couple of quiet, clean fish swimming in one tank. But nothing else! No talking me around -- it just wouldn't be possible so don't even try.

But then PJ wanted to buy his sister a fish tank for Christmas. And I gave in -- how could I not? After all, I wanted him to learn to be generous and he was offering to pay for the entire thing himself. And it really wasn't fair that he got to have a pet again and she didn't. And since fish really were clean and quiet, I gave in.

I think the battle was lost, though, when I bought the tank for myself. (But I really did like their fish!) And the second tank I set up for myself just confirmed what the kids already knew: mom's a push-over.

But if I didn't have a cold and feel so miserable, I don't think I would have given in today. At least, that's what I'm going to keep telling myself. They struck when I was too weak to resist. And as a result, we have a new member to the family.

No comments: