Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Fish Fry update


Having an aquarium has been more difficult than my son and I expected. First of all, you don't just fill it with water and fish and let it go. Even though there's a filter, the water still needs to be cleaned on a weekly basis (20% of the tank's water needs to be emptied and replaced with clean, conditioned water). Plus the gravel on the bottom needs to be vacuumed once a week.

This past week we had a disaster. Apparently we had been overfeeding the fish, so the chemical balance of the water was wrong and several of the fish died. We lost both adult mollies, some of the baby mollies, and one of the tetras. We had to treat the water (now it looks so clear!) and we have since added two more neon tetras. We've added testing the water to PJ's weekly cleaning schedule.

We still have 18 molly babies. The fry are about 1/2 inch long now, and they are so cute! I have decided that after Christmas I want to get my own tank. I'm thinking maybe a 25 gallon one, with fancy guppies...
Posted by Picasa

No comments: