Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I think fearlessness and stupidity go together. (Willie Nelson)

This is a really bad photo. It was taken in my car, late at night in the dark, with my cell phone. But I took it as proof that I am a Fearless Knitter.

I was sitting the parking lot last night, waiting for my daughter to get off work. (She's a hostess at a beachside restaurant, and when she works "closing" it means that she gets off sometime between 9 pm and 10:30ish. Since I don't want her waiting for me to pick her up after work in a dark parking lot of a strip mall with various tourist bars and restaurants, I get there early and knit while I wait for her. And for the record, I know could go inside and wait for her like a normal person. But they make a really irresistible killer chocolate cake, so I try to avoid temptation by knitting outside.)

Anyway, my project while I was sitting in my car in the dark, rainy parking lot was the Renita shawlette I started at Fiber-In. It's a simple lace pattern, so I can do it with only a minimum of concentration. Or so I thought. When I stopped to admire my work, I noticed that I probably should have paid a little more attention to it. There was a mistake sixteen rows back. (It was in the simple stockinette portion of the shawl, if you can believe that, and not in the actual lace. Go figure.) Without thinking, I went ahead and frogged back the sixteen rows. And then I had to put it back on my needles, still in the dark, tiny car.

That, my friends, is fearless knitting.

Of course, 'fearless' is a synonym for 'foolish.'

No comments: