Saturday, December 01, 2007

That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved.

Ralph Waldo Emerson


Paul Klee
"The One Who Understands"
Metropolitan Museum of Art


* * *

Did I tell you about the high-speed chase I was in yesterday? It was kind of cool, although to be honest I didn't even realize what was going on until afterwards.

I was driving down a road that I wasn't really familiar with, so I was just barely going the speed limit. Or as my son would say, I was driving like an old lady. A car came up behind me, and he obviously wanted me to go faster because he stayed real close to my back bumper, but I was not going to be bullied into going any faster than what I was comfortable with. Unfortunately, he couldn't pass me because there was only one lane in each direction with a tree-lined median between them and no real shoulder on the road. So I continued to just drive, ignoring the guy. Just about the time that I noticed police lights coming up behind us, the median ended and the guy rushed past me close enough to scrape my side mirror. The traffic light down the road in front of us was red, but he never even stopped. Seconds later, the police car passed around me, and he flew through the red light as well. When I got to the light, the policeman had caught up with the first guy.

So the next time my kids tease me about driving slow, I'm going to remind them that driving slow helps nab the bad guys.

No comments: