Saturday, December 08, 2007

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig. (Paul Dickson)

I love my family. I really do. We are the greatest, goofiest group of people (despite our tendency toward the melodramatic) to gather together by blood and/or love.

I was reminded of this today at our First Annual Florida Ornament Hunt. (In case you’re wondering, it’s sort of like an Easter Egg Hunt, but with Christmas ornaments.) It was the brilliant idea of my sister, who was supposed to be planning a very simple picnic. She even carried an artificial Christmas tree to the (heavily wooded) park for us to decorate with the found ornaments.

Needless to say, we had a blast. One of my cousins was the winner, and while I won’t go so far as to accuse him of cheating, I will mention that he was caught with extra ornaments in his pockets. (This was the same cousin who presented my son with the mounted boar’s head for our living room.) I was too busy taking pictures to actually find any ornaments. (Hey, that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it!)

By the way, the boar’s head isn’t nearly as hideous and I was afraid it would be. Wilbur (yes, we’ve already named it courtesy of my cousin’s wife) might even be considered cute…especially once I’ve had a chance to dress him up with a Santa hat and sunglasses…


No comments: