Monday, January 14, 2013

Me, and the dead spider?



Congratulate me. This afternoon I finally mastered the split ring. (And shortly after that I mastered the skill of taking a photo one-handed while the other hand is tied up like a dead spider.) 

 In tatting, using a split ring lets you move the threads from one side of the ring to the other. For instance, in the daisy pattern I'm working on, the first seven rings are worked from inside the circle.The threads have to be moved to the outside of the circle on the last ring in order to attach the next daisy motif. For an experienced tatter, making a split ring is probably no big deal. But mastering this skill moves a beginner like myself  up to a whole new level. It's like a new knitter mastering cables or learning to follow a lace chart.


Recently I've finished a couple of tatted bracelets. The first one was very simple and delicate. The second bracelet was adapted from a bookmark pattern. 

                                            

No comments: