Monday, December 31, 2012

December Reading List - 250 for 2012!

Books Read in December



232 - 01  Cruel and Unusual, by Patricia Cornwell (12/1)
233 - 02  Montana Creeds:  Dylan, by Linda Lael Miller (12/2)
234 - 03  Princess Charming, by Nicole Jordan (12/2)
235 - 04  Devil's Embrace, by Cathine Coulter (12/3)
236 - 05  The Body Farm, by Patricia Cornwell (12/9)
237 - 06  Deep in the Valley, by Robyn Carr (12/9)
238 - 07  Just Over the Mountains, by Robyn Carr (12/9)
239 - 08  Love, Aubrey, by Suzanne LaFleur (12/9)
I cried all the way through this book. It's only a children's book, but well-worth reading. Aubrey is only 11 years old when her family is tragically torn apart by an accident. Left alone to cope, her grandmother finally steps in and helps her deal with life. The book pushes every tear-duct button imaginable.
240 - 09  Turtle in Paradise, by Jennifer L. Holm (12/10)
241 - 10  Size 12 and Ready to Rock, by Meg Cabot (12/12)
I read the first books in the series because I liked the in-your-face attitude that the heroine doesn't have to be thin. In this book, the newly-engaged heroine once again solves the murder mystery, despite the handicap of being (gasp!) a size 12. Since when was a size 12 considered overweight? It seems that the happier the heroine gets, the skinnier she becomes -- as if there exists an undeniable correlation between the two. I'm so disappointed in the author.
242 - 11  Home from the Sea, by Mercedes Lackey (12/14)
I loved  this book. I wasn't sure I was going to in the beginning. But the story soon had me in it's grip, in true Mercedes Lackey tradition. After all, who can resist real life mermaids (or selkies).
243 -12  Rizzoli & Isles: Last to Die, by Tess Gerritsen (12/15)
244 - 13  Notorious Nineteen, by Janet Evanovich (12/18)
245 - 14  Shada, by Douglas Adams and Gareth Roberts (12/19)

I actually gave up and abandoned a book this month. I almost never do that -- as you probably can tell by some of the really junk novels on my reading list each month. It's funny, because I don't have a problem abandoning most other things (routines, resolutions, knitting projects). Although, to be fair, I always swear that I'm going back to whatever and that the abandonment is only temporary. But books are different. Just because they're horrible, have no plot, no redeeming social value, and the dialogue is ridiculous is no reason not to find out the ending. I've gone so far as to skip ahead and read the ending (or I did when I was reading "real" books; it's too difficult to do that with an ebook) of a horrible book in the hopes of being able to put it down. That seldom works, though. I still go back and read the entire book. In fact, most of the time I find that the more horrible the book is, the less willing I am to put it down. It's a matter of wanting the misery to end sooner. Good books can be savored, set down and contemplated for a bit before going on to the next chapter because I don't want them to end. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, I know. But that's the way I am.

Anyway, I actually gave up on a book. I stopped about halfway through, and returned it to the library. It wasn't even the worse book I've ever read. And it had flashes of greatness, in the commentary on a hippy-commune society. (Although I was just an infant and can barely remember that time in history, but I fondly cling to the belief that I should remember it all.) The book I gave up on was Arcadia, by Lauren Goff. If you've read it, let me know whether or not I should give it a second try.

246 - 15  The Case of the Missing Secretary, by Diane Palmer (12/22)
 I probably should have given up on this book instead of Arcadia... 
247 - 16  Changing Habits, by Debbie Macomber (12/23)
248 - 17  Devil's Daughter, by Catherine Coulter (12/25)
249 - 18  The Family Fang, by Kevin Wilson (12/29)
250 - 19  Sheltering Hearts, by Robyn Carr (12/29)



No comments: