Tuesday, November 30, 2010

They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself. (Andy Worhol)

On Monday Weight Watchers announced the new PointsPlus plan. It's fantastic!

Two years ago I lost 60 pounds tracking what I ate by counting points the Weight Watchers' way. It was easy to stay on track because I never felt deprived. I could eat whatever I wanted, as long as I calculated the points. And since I'm so obsessive with tracking details, I even thought it was fun. (Okay, now you know my dirty little secret...I like to calculate WW points.)

The brilliant people of Weight Watchers figured out that there were a lot of people like me who were doing great on the plan but who weren't really learning anything. (Okay, this paragraph is mostly my opinion. The official statement is that they wanted to stay on top of the most current research in diet and nutrition.) Although I was great at staying within my points, and I never felt deprived, it was because I had figured out that if I used 2 points for breakfast and 6 points for lunch, I could use the rest of my daily points for a Reuben sandwich with extra dressing. I never even tried to reach the recommended dairy or vegetable/fruit amounts.

PointsPlus still has all the flexibility built in. And if I want to save my points in order to have a Reuben, I can. But eating healthy makes a lot more sense. Before, when my choice was eating a candy bar or a large banana (both about the same points) I would always choose the candy bar. Now I can eat the banana (or even better, a mango) without costing me any points at all but the candy bar is going to cost me 8 points. The way the points are calculated now, I think I can actually attain the recommended nutritional amounts. And I will still be able to use my extra points for that candy bar, if I want it after eating a mango or a bowl of strawberries.

I lost 60 pounds the last time, although I put back 50 in the past year. This time I'm going for a full 100 pounds.

No comments: