Saturday, February 24, 2007

Just relax, and you'll feel better.

Six years ago, my oldest daughter fell off a riding toy and came into the house crying. My mother and I were busy working on the computer, so I told my daughter to relax, and it would feel better. As it turned out, her arm was fractured and she wore a cast for 5 weeks.

Three years ago, I had a call from the school nurse. My son was playing tackle football during field day, and had ended up in her office with a sore arm. Relax, she told me, he was just making it feel worse than it was. As it turned out, he had fractured his arm and he wore a cast for almost two months.

Last year, my youngest fell while roller skating on a band trip. The chaperones told her to relax, and it would feel better. Needless to say, her arm turned out to be fractured.

In case you're wondering where all this is going, let me point out that the common theme is that relaxing does not immediately cure a fractured arm. In fact, I have just learned first hand not only doesn't relaxing make the pain of a fractured arm go away, it isn't even POSSIBLE to relax with a fractured arm.


I have to make an appointment Monday morning to see the orthopedic surgeon.

No comments: